Gunnison settlers began farming the land to the south in the early 1860’s, each claiming his acreage under “Squatter’s Rights” and later paying a filing fee of $1.25. Water was obtained from the Sanpitch River and fresh mountain springs. By 1877 Michael Nielsen, Chris Sanders, and William D. Child had constructed homes and others soon followed. School was first taught by Marie Gribble in her home. Joseph Christensen later taught the first public school and Harriet Higham served as the area midwife. Primary and Sunday School branches of the Gunnison L.D.S. Ward were formed in 1882. The Centerfield Ward was organized in 1897 wit Andrew Fjeldsted as bishop. The town name was chosen at that time due to its central location in a fertile field. A post office was established in 1898 with Loraine Anderson as post mistress. Centerfield was incorporated in 1909 with Lars C. Myrup serving as town president.
No. 428 – 1984 – Centerfield Camp
Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow. com/dup