Memorial Park was an unsightly swamp until 1924.
During the early 1920s, Provo joined a beautification movement that swept across America. An unsightly swamp and dumping ground on the north side of Center Street at about 800 East became a prime target for improvement. Provo already owned two acres of the swampy land and bought four more acres. With the help of volunteers, the City set about the task of turning this eyesore into a beautiful park.
This 45 foot obelisk is located in Memorial Park in Provo
Emil Hansen, a recognized landscape expert, planned the park. He envisioned it serving as both a recreational area and a memorial to Provo’s servicemen who died in World War I. Hansen designed the north end of the park as a place to romp and have fun. The southwest quarter of the park contained a tennis court, pond, lawns and flower beds. The southeast quarter served as a memorial area. Workmen erected a flagpole and planted a blue spruce commemorating each local serviceman who died during the war.
Mayor O.K. Hansen recommended the name Liberty-Memorial Park, but the City Commission shortened the name to Memorial Park.
The park was ready for its first complete year of use in 1924. At one time Memorial Park had it’s own greenhouse. Its beautiful flower beds so impressed National Geographic that the magazine featured the park in a 1936 issue.
The pond, tennis court and flower beds are now gone, and strong winds have toppled some of the blue spruce, but the park still serves as a suitable memorial to Provo’s servicemen and women. A giant obelisk honoring them was erected in 2001.
See also, Provo Parks.
There are many plaques describing Provo history here.
Price, the county seat of Carbon County, is the largest city in the county and is located in the Price River Valley of the Colorado Plateau province of Utah. It is believed that Price was named after LDS Bishop William Price of Goshen, Utah, who explored the region in 1869. The area was originally a part of Sanpete County, and then was included in Emery County when it was created in 1880. Price was organized on 14 July 1892 while it was still a part of Emery County.
Caleb Baldwin Rhoades and Abraham Powell, trappers from Salem, Utah, were the first recorded settlers in the Price River Valley. They arrived in October 1877 and built a cabin in the northwest corner of what is now Price. The two returned to Salem when the trapping season was over. Their talk aroused interest in the area among their friends and families, and they soon convinced a group join them in relocating in the Price River Valley. However, Abraham Powell never returned to Price as he was killed by a bear on 7 December 1878 while hunting in the Nebo Mountains.
On 21 January 1879 Caleb Rhoades returned to the valley with two brothers, Frederick Empire Grames and Charles W. Grames. The men helped each other build homes for their families. Later that year, they were joined by their families and others, most coming from Utah County.(*)
When the Provo Tabernacle (see this post https://jacobbarlow.com/2014/06/03/first-tabernacle/ ) burned, they decided to rebuild it as the Provo City Center Temple. It has been cool watching the progress.
Here are a few pictures I took back in July of 2013.
Settlement of Delta began in 1907 on townlots that had been laid out in 1906. The town was originally called Burtner.
Delta is rather unusual among the primarily agricultural towns in the state, since it was founded in the twentieth century and owed virtually nothing regarding its establishment to direction from the general hierarchy of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The previously settled West Millard farming area was already becoming prosperous from alfalfa seed production when Frederick R. Lyman and others of his Oak City family began investigating the possibility of diverting Sevier River water upstream from the relatively new Gunnison Bend Reservoir, which was used for cultivating lands at Oasis, Deseret, Hinckley, and Abraham. After farmers from those communities claimed winter runoff water and commenced building a larger Sevier Bridge Reservoir in southeastern Juab County, Lyman persuaded his fellow members of the Millard LDS Stake presidency, Orvil Thompson and Alonzo A. Hinckley, to call attorney James A. Melville to determine the feasibility of forming a new irrigation company in connection with this reservoir project. The Mellville Irrigation Company was organized for that purpose on 24 March 1906. Twenty-nine of the thirty-four original incorporators were residents of Millard County.
“Old” L.D.S. Meetinghouse
This building, designed by architect Richard C. Watkins, served as the Eureka L.D.S. Ward Meetinghouse from its construction in 1902 until 1976. It was dedicated in 1903 by Apostle Reed Smoot. The Gothic Revival Style building has been an important part of the religious history of the Tintic Mining Area. The structure, including windows and the tower which had been changed, was restored by the Ferrel Thimas family in 1988.
Eureka United Methodist Church
Constructed in 1891 with funds secured from local Methodists and the Mission Conference of 1890, this building is important in documenting the religious life of Eureka and Tintic. Methodism began in Tintic when Dr. Thomas C. Iliff visited and preached on June 18, 1890. Reverend W. A. Hunt was appointed first pastor and succeeded by Dr. J. D. Gillilan who finished the church structure. The Gothic style tower houses the original Bell.
Eureka Post Office
The Eureka Post Office was constructed in 1922 by the United States Government for the commercial center of the Tintic Mining District. James A. Wetmore served as “Acting Supervisory Architect.” The structure represents the only example of the Spanish Colonial Revival style in the Tintic area. It continues to serve its original function. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places on March 14, 1979.
Constructed in 1909-1910 by the Benevolent and Protective Order of the Elks, Tintic Lodge #711 was designed by architects Richard C. Watkins and John F. Birch and built by contractor Martin E. Anderson, a Logan contractor. Cost of the building was $30,000. The meeting hall for the Elks Lodge was on the upper floor, with rooms rented to doctors, lawyers, etc., and the lower floor was rented, initially to the Hefferman-Thompson (general merchandise) Company. Later, it was occupied by Norman and Jensen and J.C. Penneys. The small structure on the west was added sometime between 1910-1923, and in 1929 the second story, five rooms for office suites, was built. At that time the lower floor of the small building was occupied by the Eureka Mercantile Commission Company. The Elks “Tintic Lodge” was organized June 20, 1901.