This is a placeholder page for my play in the game Ingress. More will be added later.
Manti was one of the first communities settled in what was to become Utah. Chief Wakara (or Walker), a Ute Tribe leader, invited Brigham Young to send pioneers to the area to teach his people the techniques of successful farming. In 1849, Brigham Young dispatched a company of about 225 settlers, consisting of several families, to the Sanpitch (now Sanpete) Valley. Under the direction of Isaac Morley and George Washington Bradley, the settlers arrived at the present location of Manti in November. They endured a severe winter by living in temporary shelters dug into the south side of the hill on which the Manti Temple now stands. Brigham Young named the new community Manti, after a city mentioned in the Book of Mormon. Manti was incorporated in 1851. The first mayor of Manti was Dan Jones. Manti served as a hub city for the settlement of other communities in the valley.
- John Patten Jr. House
- LDS Temple
- Manti Pioneers
- Moroni Statue
- Pioneer Memorial Cabin
- Sesquicentennial 1849 – 1999
Relations with the local Native Americans deteriorated rapidly and the Walker War soon ensued. The war consisted primarily of various raids conducted by the Native Americans against Mormon outposts in Central and Southern Utah. The Walker War ended in the mid-1850s in an understanding negotiated between Brigham Young and Wakara. Shortly thereafter, Welcome Chapman and Wakara oversaw the baptism of scores of Wakara’s tribe members. Although immediate hostilities ended, none of the underlying conflicts were resolved.
In 1865 Utah’s Black Hawk War erupted when an incident between a Manti resident and a young chieftain exploded into open warfare between the Mormon settlers and the local Native Americans. Forts were built in Manti and other nearby communities. Smaller settlements in the area were temporarily abandoned for the duration of the war. In the fall of 1867, Chief Black Hawk made peace with the settlers, but sporadic violence occurred until 1872 when federal troops finally intervened. Many Mormon settlers who fought and died in the wars are buried in the Manti Cemetery. Most of the Utes were eventually relocated to the Uintah and Ouray Indian Reservation in Eastern Utah.
The community was first settled in the spring of 1874 by James C. Jensen, Jens Iver Jensen, and others. The area was settled by Danish converts to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and named after Kronborg Castle, known as Elsinore in Hamlet. It was home to a Utah-Idaho Sugar Company factory for processing sugar beets into sugar from 1911 to 1929, but was closed due to a sugar beet blight. The town was given its official name at the suggestion of Latter-day Saint Stake President Joseph A. Young. Previously, the town was named Little Denmark because many of the early settlers were immigrants of that country.
One of the town’s leading citizens, George Staples (1834–1890) was gored to death by a Jersey bull on his farm outside town on October 30, 1890. Staples was the English immigrant and adopted Sioux who widely credited with opening the way for peaceful settlement of southern Utah by negotiation with Native American tribes in the area such as the Pahvant Ute band led by Chief Kanosh (1821–1884).
On September 29, 1921, the town was rocked by an earthquake which damaged several buildings, including the school, which would later house the library.
The town was named for Joseph A. Young, a local leader of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Joseph was settled in 1871.
- David Giles Log Cabin
- Earl Utley Memorial Bell
- Joseph Cemetery
- Joseph War Memorial
- Joseph William Parker Farm
- Old Church Vacation Rental
- Town of Joseph and Pioneer Log Cabin
The 31 handprints and other pictographs in this natural shelter show that this area was used around the same time that the large Fremont village on nearby Five Finger Ridge was occupied.
The handprints were created by applying natural pigments to the palm and fingers of the of the hanf and pressing the hand against the rock wall. Three colors were used: reddish orange, ox-blood red and mustard orange. The varying sizes of the prints suggest that many individuals made them. Fourteen are from right hands, sixteen are from left hands and one is undetermined.
The handprints and other pictographs in the cave are fragile and irreplaceable. Bars were installed to protect this one-of-a-kind resource.
Birth of Hurricane 1893-1904
This monument is near the spot where a celebration took place on Aug. 06, 1904. After nearly eleven years of arduous work on the canal, water was ready for diversion onto the land.
“Five or six wagon loads of people came from the little towns nearby. The crowd was solemn but happy.”
They let out a big shout as the water gushed down the hill. Names for the new city to be were discussed and voted upon.
We thank God for these pioneers of our valley.
For the complete story visit Pioneer Park.
Perched on White Mesa near Blue Mountain in southeastern Utah, the town of Blanding sits at the southern end of the Great Sage Plain. Documented Anasazi occupation of this site extends to as early as A.D. 600, with dwellings being constructed as late as the early 1200s. Archaic Indian sites that far predate this period also exist at the foot of White Mesa. Utes and an occasional Navajo also camped in this area because of the water from local springs and seeps. Before the town was built, Navajos called the location “Sagebrush,” because of that plant’s luxuriant growth that swept through the pinyon and junipers to the base of the mountain.
In 1886 Francis A. Hammond, newly appointed LDS stake president, sent out an exploring party from Bluff to evaluate possible townsites that could support an agricultural and livestock economy. Monticello, twenty-two miles north of Blanding, received the initial attention in this colonizing effort. For ten more years White Mesa remained the haunt of the diminishing livestock herds of the non-Mormon L. C. outfit. Not until 1897, when Walter C. Lyman with his brother Joseph loaded a buckboard with supplies and left Bluff to investigate White Mesa’s potential, did the idea of a community there start to take shape. At one point, Lyman looked out over the sea of sage and, according to accounts, had a vision that one day this isolated area would have an LDS temple and play an important role in serving Naive Americans, especially through education.
Indianola is east of US-89 on Thistle Creek. Twelve miles southeast of Faiwiew. An early Indian village existed there. In pioneer times the site was selected for farms assigned to Indians protected by the Mormon Church. The Indians mere permitted to file on land and own it if it was taken care of. This plan was discontinued when the Indian reservation in the Uintah Basin was established by tbe federal government.