Hideaway Valley is a community of four hundred and fifty lots ranging in size from two to 35 acres. There is twenty-seven miles of road and access is year round for most properties.These lots are nestled in the mountains and surrounded by breathtaking views. There are approximately fifty full-time residents and many weekend and summer vacation owners. Located in rural tranquility with majestic mountains under the clearest blue skys in Utah, you will discover that Hideaway Valley is one of the most beautiful communities on earth. Hideaway Valley is located in the middle of terrific fishing and hunting and many of our weekend warriors enjoy horseback riding, hiking, and all terrain vehicle fun. Check out the links page for a list of resources regarding Sanpete County and local attractions.
Vernal, unlike most Utah towns, was not settled by Mormons. Brigham Young sent a scouting party to Uintah Basin in 1861 and received word back the area was good for nothing but nomad purposes, hunting grounds for Indians and “to hold the world together.” That same year, President Abraham Lincoln set the area aside as the Uintah Indian Reservation, with Captain Pardon Dodds appointed Indian agent. Dodds later built the first cabin by a white man in the Uinta Basin about 1868. Settlers began to filter in after that and build cabins in various spots on or near Ashley Creek. In 1879 many came close to perishing in the famous “Hard Winter” of that year.
Iosepa, (with the I like an English Y) is a ghost town in Utah’s Skull Valley, located approximately 75 miles (120 km) southwest of Salt Lake City in Tooele County. Once home to over 200 Polynesian members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (or “Mormons”), Iosepa was inhabited during the period 1889–1917. Today it is the site of an annual Memorial Day gathering that draws islanders and others from all over the Western United States.
Mormon missionaries were sent to Polynesia starting in the 1850s. Many of their converts wanted to emigrate or “gather” to Utah with the main body of the Church, but were restricted by law, particularly in Hawaii. In the 1870s the Hawaiian government began to allow emigration, and by 1889 some 75 Native Hawaiians had gathered in the North Salt Lake area. Despite their common faith, the immigrants experienced significant culture shock, as well as mistreatment by the white majority. The Polynesians were barred from staying in white-owned hotels and were refused service at restaurants in Salt Lake City. Church leaders began searching for a location to set aside as a Hawaiian enclave, but 40 years of settlement had occupied most of the desirable land in the Salt Lake area.
In 1889 a group of three Hawaiian converts and three returned missionaries was assigned to choose a location. After considering possibilities in Cache, Weber, and Utah counties, they selected a 1,920-acre site in Skull Valley, known as the Quincy Ranch or the Rich Ranch, as a gathering place for the South Sea Islanders. The colony was organized as a joint stock company, the Iosepa Agriculture and Stock Company, owned by the LDS Church. The first 46 settlers arrived at the new townsite on August 28, 1889 and drew lots for land. August 28 was later designated as Hawaiian Pioneer Day.
The name Iosepa, a Hawaiian form of Joseph, was chosen in honor of Joseph F. Smith (1838–1918), one of the first missionaries from the Church to serve the Hawaiian people, and also in honor of his uncle, Joseph Smith, Jr. (1805–1844), founder of the Church. The Iosepans’ main reason for coming to Utah was to be near the Salt Lake Temple. After it opened in 1893, they traveled there as frequently as possible to participate in religious ceremonies.
See also: Fort Sage Bottom.
Peoa is in Summit County between Jordanelle and Rockport State Parks. It lies along State Route 32 south of the city of Coalville, the county seat of Summit County. Its elevation is 6,191 feet. The population was 253 at the 2010 census.
Peoa was first settled in 1857 by William W. Phelps and others.
Land in the area now known as Perry was first claimed in 1851 by Orrin Porter Rockwell and his brother Merritt, at a place now called Porter Spring. However, they only laid claim to the land and did not build a residence. Settlement by Mormon pioneers began in 1853, when William Plummer Tippets built a cabin at the settlement known as “Three Mile Creek”, there being a creek three miles south of Box Elder (now Brigham City). Another settlement known as “Welsh Settlement” was midway between Three Mile Creek and Box Elder, which joined with Three Mile Creek in 1869. In 1898 the community was renamed Perry after Gustavus Adolphus Perry and his family, who were among the early settlers.
In 1854 Gustavus Adolphus Perry was made LDS branch president at the location. It had various branch presidents from then until 1877. In 1877 it was made a ward with Orrin Alonzo Perry as bishop. In 1930 there were 341 inhabitants in Perry. It still only had enough Latter-day Saints for one ward. In the spring of 2008 the Perry Utah Stake was created by a division of the Willard Utah Stake. This stake consists of nine wards, but one of the wards in the Willard Stake is a Perry Ward as well.
In June 1896 a partially completed reservoir at the mouth of Three Mile Creek Canyon (now Perry Canyon) overflowed, flooding much of the town, destroying homes and covering farms with mud and gravel. A second flood in 1923 caused less damage.
Huntsville was founded in 1860 by Jefferson Hunt. An LDS ward was organized there in 1877 with Francis Hammond as Bishop, and he was succeeded in 1885 by David McKay. This David McKay was the father of David O. McKay, later president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. A Trappist monastery, the Abbey of Our Lady of the Holy Trinity, was established there in 1947.