See also, Fort Utah D.U.P. Marker.
In the early spring of 1849, the fertile soil , abundant water, lush grazing land of Utah Valley and the timber and fish of Provo River attracted settlers from Salt Lake Valley. On April 1, about thirty men, accompanied by some sons and perhaps one or more families, arrived at Provo River, then called Timpanogos River. Promising to coexist peacefully with the Utes, these first settlers chose a site some one hundred yards west of the trail and rover ford. On April 3, they began to build a fort, the Northeast corner of which was only about 85 feet from the river and likely near here.
The fort extended west and south from that point, initially it consisted of two rows of adjoining cottonwood log cabins that faced each other across an open area. The men plowed and planted fields. Soon their families joined them at the infant settlement, which they named Fort Utah or Utah Settlement. By June nearly 190 men, women and children loved there. As the community grew, they built cabins across the north and south ends. By late fall of 1849 57 cabins enclosed a 1.5-acre central square. Fort Utah eventually measured about 330 feet by 500 feet. The colonists build a bastion in the middle of the fort on which to mount their cannon. The space beneath the bastion served as a meeting place for the community. As relationships with the Timpanogos Utes deteriorated the settlers surrounded the cabins with a 12-foot-tall log picket stockade for safety. In the spring of 1850 the residents chose a better fort site about 1.5 miles to the North-east. Most relocated there by late fall nearly abandoning the original Fort Utah. For a while the old fort temporarily housed travelers , then it fell into disuse and virtually disappeared.
Curlew Valley, named after the curlew snipe that nests there, extends from Snowville, Utah, to the Idaho towns of Stone and Holbrook. The first recorded white men were Peter Skene Ogden‘s large party of trappers that camped on Deep Creek December 27, 1828.
Some of the discharged members of the Mormon Battalion, on their way home from California to Salt Lake City on September 18, 1848, camped on Deep Creek and also in a cave one mile (1.6 km) east called Hollow Rock.
The beginning of Deep Creek is a large spring at Holbrook which runs through the center of the valley and has never varied even in dry years. About one mile (1.6 km) southwest is Rocky Ford, where the pioneers were able to pass on solid rock.
In 1869 William Robbins, Thomas Showell, and William M. Harris settled at the Curlew Sinks, ten miles west of here, where Deep Creek sinks into the ground. The old pioneer trail and the stage line went through their ranch.
The first townsite in the Curlew Valley was Snowville. Settled at the direction of Brigham Young and named in honor of Lorenzo Snow an apostle at the time but later to become the President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints 1898–1901. Snowville was laid out August 14, 1878.