Bishop David Evans was a general authority of the church and participated in the School of the Prophets in Kirtland.
The School of the Prophets commenced January 23, 1833, in the Newel K. Whitney Store in Kirtland. The purpose of the school was to prepare the elders to go into the world and preach the Gospel. That preparation was intellectual, spiritual, and physical, but all of it was intended to purify those men and empower them. So it was that visions and revelations were opened to them. Including a particular revelation that has become the most famous of the church and even to define its members.
This monument is at the Lehi Legacy Center: