The Burgess House
The house was built in 1916 by Joe Burgess. He hauled lava rock from the nearby black hill for the foundation stones and constructed the home out of formed cement blocks made by Lim Canfield. These formed cement blocks became popular in the early part of the 20th century when the stone masons, who had brought their trade from the old country, started becoming extinct. The forms were made so the blocks had the exterior texture of handcut sandstone blocks.