Veyo (also Glencove) is a census-designated place in western Washington County, Utah, United States, on the edge of the Dixie National Forest. The town lies along State Route 18 north of the city of St. George, the county seat of Washington County. The elevation of Veyo is 4,485 feet . Although Veyo is unincorporated, it has a post office with the ZIP code of 84782. The population was 483 at the 2010 census. One tradition says the community name is an acronym of virtue, enterprise, youth, and order; another says it combines verdure and youth. There is a town of Veyo in Spain that is also referred to as La Peña, which means “rocky outcrop”.
Veyo became a distinct community from Gunlock in 1918.
Diamond Valley is a valley in northern Washington County, Utah, United States that is located about 3 miles north of the northern limits of St. George on Utah State Route 18, just past the entrance to Snow Canyon State Park. The unincorporated community of Diamond Valley, Utah is located within the valley, as is the Santa Clara Volcano.
Grantsville was first known by the name Twenty Wells, due to the many sweetwater artesian springs in the area. It was first settled in 1848 as a seasonal livestock grazing site for stock owners in Salt Lake City. The first permanent settlers arrived in 1850 to establish one of Brigham Young’s more than 350 Mormon colonies throughout Utah Territory. By then, the fortified town was known as Willow Creek. Three years later, with almost 30 families living in the settlement, it was renamed Grantsville in honor of George D. Grant, the leader of a detachment of the Nauvoo Legion militia sent to control hostile Native Americans in the Tooele Valley. Grant is also known for leading a group to rescue members of the Martin Handcart Company. The later years of the decade brought many hardships to Grantsville’s citizens, including drought, grasshopper infestations, and the settlement’s temporary abandonment in advance of the arrival of Johnston’s Army. Ironically, the arrival of the army and its construction of Camp Floyd in nearby Cedar Valley ended up greatly benefiting Grantsville’s settlers as they were then able to trade with the army for many needed provisions. By the end of the next decade, the 1860s, Grantsville had become a largely self-sufficient oasis of orchards and shade trees at the edge of the Territory’s western deserts. Brigham Young himself visited Grantsville on several occasions, both officially and unofficially, and dedicated the first permanent church building in 1866. The building stands today, though it is no longer owned by the Church. The Lincoln Highway passed through the city in 1925 after it was realigned to the north, spurring business along Main Street.
Archibald & Violet Gardner House
The Archibald and Violet Gardner House, built in 1893 and remodeled in 1937, is significant for its association with an important period of development in Sandy’s history. The original home appears to have been constructed by Albert and Annie Swope and was subject to a sherrifs sale in 1898, after which it most likely served as a rental unit until it was purchased by Archibald and Violet Gardner in 1906.
In 1937 the Gardners extensively remodeled and added to the house in the style of a Mission/Spanish Colonial Period Revival cottage. Archibald was employed for a long time in Sandy’s mining industries and later was a cashier and the Sandy City Bank during 1907-37. He held a variety of offices in Sandy city government, serving as mayor from 1932 to his death in 1940. Violet taught dancing in the house for many years.