Piute County Courthouse stands in the small rural town of Junction as a monument to the building skills of the pioneers and to their public
commitment. The population of the county has remained between one and
two thousand people. In 1892 a special bond election defeated a proposal
for the building. However, by 1902 John Morrill donated a lot for the
structure and $225.00 were provided for plans. The building was designed
by Provo architect R.C. Watkins. Young, Allen and Morrill were contracted for $7,670.00 to build the structure which was completed in 1903. It has served as the center for county government since that time.

Related:

Located at 21 North Main Street in Junction, Utah.

Being located in a livestock-mining region, it has had its share of outlaw cases and mining suits. The little courtroom reminds those who see it of a colorful history. The original “pot-bellied” stoves were replaced with central heating. On July 4, 1930 the community celebrated “getting electricity” in their town and the courthouse.

A fire, in 1943, damaged parts of the interior. The stairs were reconstructed and most of the interior repainted. However, the general integrity of the building remains very good. Plans for limited restoration of the exterior and the courtroom are underway.

The building sits in a grove of trees, which were planted originally to provide a shaded camping area for travelers through the area. Indians
and whites have used the site extensively. The tall trees now furnish a
lovely backdrop for the courthouse.

In this remote setting of rural Utah, the Piute County Courthouse is
extremely important.

The Piute County Courthouse is constructed of red-burnt brick, made on
the site by the builders, Young, Alien and Morrill. The brick walls are set on granite slabs hauled from nearby Kingston. The structure rises two full stories with small false towers in three corners and a major tower on the southeast. The architectural style is Edwardian with arched windows and archways oh both floor levels. The exterior of the structure is unaltered.

The interior has undergone some modifications, due to a fire in 1943
and the recent remodeling of the jail cell into a lounge area for employees
in the south west corner of the first floor. The stairs were widened when
replaced.

However, the major offices on the main floor remain with only slight changes. The second floor has seven offices used for county and town government. The courtroom remains, with its judge’s stand and jury box as it was constructed.

The wood trim on the interior was hand turned on the site also. The structure demonstrates a remarkable pioneer commitment and high quality
craftsmanship.