From evidence of title, city directories, and Sanborn Maps, this home was built in 1911. The original owner of the home was Osborne J.P. Widtsoe, because of which it is significant.
Widtsoe was born December 12, 1877, in Namus, Norway. He came to Utah in 1883. He was married to Rose Homer and they had two daughters. Widtsoe attended Utah State Agricultural College and did graduate work at Harvard. He was president of L.D.S. University and became head of the English department of the University of Utah. He was a member of the L.D.S. Church and served as an associate editor for the Juvenile Instructor and as a member of the board of YMMIA. He was also bishop of the
19th Ward. He died on March 14, 1920.
The chain of title to the property is as follows:
- Consolidated Realty to Osborne J.P. Widtsoe 1911
- Osborne J.P. Widtsoe to Rose H. Widtsoe 1929
- R.H. Widtsoe to Karine W. Kiepe, Rosetta W. Chris 1945
This is a one and one half story, brick and frame house with shingle siding. It has a gable roof with a large main cross gable. The first story is Brick, the second is frame and shingle. It has a gable roofed entrance portico on the northwest corner, Metal roof supports are a later addition.