
Helper Hotel
This hotel was built in 1913-14 for the Helper Real Estate and Investment Co. Formed by people of many different ethnic groups, including Assyrian, Italian, and Jewish, this company reflected the diverse nature of Helper’s population. A favorite of traveling salesmen, or “drummers,” who came by train to display their wares to the local merchants, the Helper Hotel also housed the U.S. Post Office and was the location for the printing of one of Helper’s early newspapers.
This building was known as the Helper Hotel until 1942 when it was purchased by the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad. Train crews lived here until c.1980. Vacant for several years, it became the site of the Western Mining and Railroad Museum in 1985. This three-story commercial block structure contributes to the qualities of the Helper National Register Historic District.
The Helper Hotel is part of the The Helper Museum at 294 South Main Street in Helper, Utah
Three story brick commercial building originally owned by the Helper Real Estate and Investment Company of which Joseph Barboglio was president. Originally known as the Hotel Helper, the business was managed by Joseph Litizzette, eldest son of August Sr. The Hotel was a favorite of traveling salesmen or “drummers” who came in on the trains. The LHS of the downstairs was a display area for the drummers to show their “wares” to the local merchants. The RHS housed the U.S. Post Office until it was moved to its present location in 1937. The D.&R.G.W.R.R. purchased the building in 1942 to replace the older Y.M.C.A. which was razed. Except for glass blocks in the front windows, the building appears unaltered.
