The Helper commercial district is located within the present city limits of Helper, Utah. The District is entirely within the E 1/2 of the NE 1/4 of Section 24, Township 13 South, Range 9E Salt Lake City Standard Meridian. The District is bounded on the north by Janet Street, on the west by First West Street, on the South by Locust Street and on the east by the Denver and Rio Grande Western (D§RGW) railyards. The size of the district is somewhat less than 40 acres and includes, but is not limited to, the entire extent of Pratt’s and Mead’s Survey Platts.
The existing boundaries were selected because of their tight nature, delineating the main Helper commercial district, as well as access points to that area. The inclusion of residences was determined by both their presence on Main Street or their adjacent location to the street and within business district, other residences were excluded and may be part of a future multiple resource nomination.
Janet Street is the northern boundary, and with its underpass (to the east) represents the effective beginning of Helper’s Main Street. On the west is First West Street which contains some residences, but included major rear access ways to the commercial buildings on Main Street. Locust Street boarders the district on the south, representing the end of the main commercial area. The eastern boundary follows the Rio Grande Western railway yards, which formed a vital part of Helper’s commercial life.
The Helper commercial district consists of a total of 110 of which 98 sites have been judged to be potentially contributory to the historic character of the area. A wide variety of both residential and commercial structures, arrayed along both sides of Main street in a north-south manner, comprise the district.
The Helper Commercial District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places (#79002491) on July 24, 1979.
- CR-07-651 (Intrusion – Recently constructed brick utility building.)
- CR-07-652 – 2 South Main Street – 1929