James E. Talmage Building

James E. Talmage-scholar, scientist, educator, author and church leader-was born in England and came to Utah when he was ten years old. He earned the A.B. degree at Lehigh University and the Ph.D. at Illinois Wesleyan University. For his work in chemistry and geology he was elected to membership in the Royal Society of Edinburgh. He gave vigorous leadership to the University as professor of metallurgy and biology, as Deseret Professor of geology and as the University’s second president from 1894 to 1897. His major educational concern was to build a sound system of teaching for the people of Utah who, in the 1880’s were still somewhat remote from the established centers of learning, and to incorporate into the University curriculum the expanding body of scientific knowledge.

The land on which this building stands was deeded to the University during President Talmage’s administration. Construction of the building, to be known as the Museum, was begun in 1900, but so many new buildings were going up in Salt Lake City that skilled laborers and quality brick and stone were in short supply. The building was not completed until late in 1902.

The Museum building contained classrooms, offices and laboratories for biology, geology and mineralogy; geological and biological museums; an assembly room and a gymnasium. About 1920, geology classes were relocated and the Museum became known as the Biology Building until, on June 9, 1976, in ceremonies sponsored by the Alumni Association, it was officially named the James E. Talmage Building.

Designed by Richard Kletting.

Located at 1379 Presidents’ Circle in the U of U Circle Historic District in Salt Lake City, Utah

Although part of the original plans, this building was not completed until 1902 because the initial appropriations did not allow for construction of all four buildings. Samuel C. Dallas was the architect. Its style is Second Renaissance Revival and follows the plan of the first three buildings using pressed hard brick and the rusticated sandstone foundation with the same window arrangements, hip roof and horizontal quality. The only deviation is at the entrance. Here Dallas used double Corinthian columns in sandstone to frame a fan-shaped transom over the doorway. The entablature and sandstone railings above the pillars add to the elaborate impression of this entrance. There have been no exterior changes and little interior modification. Metal doors replaced the older wooden one but an effort was made to follow the style of the old doors as closely as possible. Originally the building held all the science departments and their museums so it was named the Museum. On September 29, 1931, it became the Biology Building; and on March 8, 1976, it was officially named the James E. Talmadge Biology Building. James Talmadge was the president of the University from 1894-1897 and head of the Geology Department until 1907.*