The historic Provo First Ward chapel was completed in 1930, and is located at 100 East and 200 South on the site where one of Provo’s first schoolhouses once stood. The Salt Lake City architectural firm, Pope and Burton, worked with Provo architect J. E. Allen to design the building. It was one of only a few “airplane type” meetinghouses built by the LDS Church. Construction began on December 18, 1927, when Thomas N. Taylor, President of the Utah Stake of the LDS Church and a prominent Provo businessman, dedicated the site. The first meeting was held in the new chapel on May 4, 1930, when LDS Church President Heber J. Grant was the speaker. The building was not dedicated until December 10, 1939, after the $78,985.35 construction cost had been raised by the local congregation.

191 South 100 East in Provo, Utah

Related: