Brigham City Co-Op
Brigham City was the first important Mormon community to organize itself for cooperative activity under a system later incorporated in the United Order of 1874. Approximately 30 or 40 industry branches were established with the aim of providing employment for everyone in producing & manufacturing what they consumed & used. The Co-op as a joint stock enterprise with Elder Lorenzo Snow & three others subscribing 3,000 from 1864 to 1880.
The following co-op branches were established: Hog Farm, Saddles, Dry Farm, Broom Fac., Blacksmith, Furniture Dep., Harness Shop, Mulberry Tree, Cooperage, Planning (sic) Mill, Butcher Dep., 2 Saw Mills, Silk Worms, Brush Fac., Hats & Caps, Textile Ind., Wagon & Carriage, Cotton Farm, Green House & Nursery, Rope Fac., Millinery Shop, Repair Shop, Tin Shop, Boot & Shoe Fac., Tailor & Fancy, Pottery Shop, Wood Turning
The Co-op operated in Brigham City for more than 15 years, and had a profound influence on the history of Utah and surrounding areas occupied by the Mormons. It was discontinued 1880.