Established 1868 by Ebenezer Hanks and others who organized the Great Western Iron Manufacturing Co., a cooperative enterprise. Officers were E. Hanks, President, Homer Duncan, Vice President, Seth M. Blair, Secretary. 800 pounds of iron of good quality produced each eight hours, the plant running day and night.
The enterprise was taken over in 1883 by the Iron Manufacturing Co. of Utah, with George Q. Cannon, President, Thomas Taylor, Vice President and Manager, John C. Cutler, Secretary. A railroad was moved here from Nevada to haul coal from Cedar Canyon to “Little Pinto” the name given this townsite.
Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association and Members of Parowan Stake.
UPTLA Marker #60, see others in the series here.
Marker Erected May 9, 1936