(*) Old picture is from an old Post Card of Slim Olson’s gas station from the 50’s
Both pictures were take from the North facing South. (about 175 degrees)
Slim Olson Service Stations are owned by brothers Doug and Keith Olson.
The Olson brothers are the third generation to run the gas station. Started by their grandfather, Slim, in 1938, the Bountiful service station was once dubbed the world’s largest — with 43 pumps. Drivers of Ford street rods and Chevy Cabriolet roadsters could roll into Slim Olson stations in Bountiful and three Nevada towns: Elko, Ely and Winnemucca.
Back then, Slim Olson stations sold two grades of leaded Amoco gas, ethyl (high grade) and regular.
Slim Olson stations have been independent for most of their years, except for a brief time between 1968 and 1978 when Doug and Keith’s father, Bill Olson, sold the stations to American Oil and ran them as an Amoco employee.
In 1994, Amoco stopped selling gas to independent stations, and Slim Olson stations began selling Chevron gas. Down went the large signs. And on the buildings went fresh coats of white and blue paint.
In their 62 years of business, all the gas sold by the stations has been refined at the nearby Woods Cross and Salt Lake refineries.
As the years passed, the Olsons slimmed down their number of stations to two. Bountiful, the longest surviving station, is still located on the same property but now sits on the south end. Its 90-foot carwash was once a lube center.