Pioneer Industrial Center
In 1850, discovery of large deposits of iron ore and coal in this vicinity by Parley P. Pratt, a Mormon leader and explorer, led Brigham Young to plan immediate colonization and development of the entire Southern Utah area.
Parowan was established January 13, 1851 as the center of one of the most extensive industrial developments undertaken by the Mormon Pioneers.
Following the typical colonization plan, this section was designated as the agricultural base. Some of the pioneers were assigned to farming, stockraising, home building, and other necessary occupations. Others, principally English, Welsh and Scottish emigrants, skilled in mining, smelting and iron working, were located at Cedar City, 19 miles south, nearer the iron and coal deposits.
During most of that first winter the settlers–117 men, 30 women and 18 children,–lived in wagon beds which had been placed in rows on the ground. Four days after its founding, Parowan was established as the county seat of Iron County, and legislative, judicial, county and town officers were elected.
Shortly thereafter, other settlements were located wherever suitable places could be found.
The First Iron County Log School House, was Built in Nov. 1851 and Classes Began on Jan. 12, 1852. Reading, Writing, and Arithmetic were taught. The only supplies were a few Slates and Books. It was also used for Town Meetings and Dances.
(Restored under the directed of Parowan Lions President Wesley E. Blake, in 1997.)