William Atkin and Rachel Thompson were born and converted to the LDS Church in Rutlandshire, England. They emigrated to America in 1855 and pulled a handcart to Utah in 1859. In 1877, the Atkins moved to this area, which they named Atkinville. In its heyday, Atkinville was comprised of three limestone homes. With its boating and fishing pond, it quickly became a favorite recreation destination. Atkinville also became a sanctuary for Elder Wilford Woodruff and other polygamists hiding from Federal marshals in the late 1880s.
Atkinville is located in what is now St George and Bloomington.