A historic marker located at Park Ave and 7th St/Woodside Ave in Park City, Utah.
This was not an overhead tram but a narrow-gauge railroad. In 1885 Shay locomotives (geared steam engines originally developed for the logging industry) pulled ore cars up steep 12 percent grades. Winding down Park City’s mountain for five miles from the Crescent Mine in Thaynes Canyon, the rails crossed the trestle in Treasure Hollow and eventually reached the system’s depot and concentrator near Main Street where the ore was refined.
Although use continued until 1900, snow covering the tracks rendered the engines useless in winter, and steep grades and heavy downhill loads made derailments frequent.