452 E 500 S in Salt Lake.
The Joseph & Marie McRae House, built between 1911 and 1913, is a two-story foursquare-type house with Neoclassical details. It is significant for its association with the development of the Central City neighborhoods and is a rare surviving example of a large foursquare in one of Salt lake City’s oldest residential areas. The nearly pristine historic integrity of the McRae house is particularly remarkable, considering the encroaching commercial development that has occurred here.
Joseph McRae was a sheep rancher and wool grower who saved his money and upon retiring, built this large foursquare around the corner from his growing family’s modest Victorian cottage. Joseph’s daughters Alice and Marie inherited the property and continued to live here until their deaths in the late 1990s. Brent and Shauna Sloan purchased the property from the McRae estate and completed a sensitive rehabilitation of the house for use as office space in 2002.