423 E Main Street in downtown Barstow.
The “Casa Del Desierto” mural is located on the west side of the building. see other downtown murals on this page.
In the late 1800’s tp 1930’s, rail travel was considered the choice of transportation, Fred Harvey had set up a string of dining rooms and boarding houses for Santa Fe passengers.
In 1911, Mr. Harvey opened the million dollar “Casa Del Desierto”. It was considered one of the jewels of the Harvey House system for many years.
Dining was gourmet cuisine on fine china and quality drink served in crystal. Comfortable, luxurious rooms rested weary rail travelers.
The “Harvey Girls”, women that served the meals, along with providing the travelers with friendly conversation, gave the Harvey House its renowned reputation.