Tags

This 1887 Victorian house is typical of the pattern book designs used during this period of time in Salt Lake. It is significant because Orson F. Whitney, Mormon apostle and Utah historian, lived here from 1905 to 1923. Whitney is best known for his three volume history of Utah.

Mathoni W. Pratt, the original owner, was the youngest son of Parley P. Pratt. He was the bishop of the Pratt Ward in Idaho. He lived in Salt Lake for forty years and worked as a salesman. During his later life, he moved to Los Angeles. In 1903-1904 Orson F. Whitney bought this house from Pratt. Whitney was a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. His obituary called him a “poet, philosopher, historian, orator, defender and protagonist of religion.”

Whitney was born in Salt Lake in 1855. He was the son of Horace K. Whitney. Orson F. Whitney served three missions for the LDS Church. He served a mission to the Eastern States from 1876-1878, a mission to Great Britain from 1881-1883, and a mission to Europe from 1921-1922 as mission president.

Whitney worked as city editor of the Deseret News. He also was an assistant Church historian. He was involved in city government serving as city treasurer and on the city council. He was the author of several biographies and histories including a three volume History of Utah. Whitney was the bishop of the Eighteenth Ward for twenty-eight years. In 1906, he was called to be an apostle, and he served in that capacity until his death in 1931. Whitney lived in this home until 1923.

Victorian house pattern design with original columned proch 2/2 windows, picture window with transom. Side bay window, hip roof, 1-shape plane, 1 1/2 story.

Located at 160 4th Avenue in the City Creek Canyon Historic District of Salt Lake City, Utah.