This is a two and one half story hip roof house that reflects the Classical
Revival style. The symmetrical facade of the building has a central pedimental portico with paired colossal columns. The entrance is in the Federal Style with elliptical fanlight and sidelights. There have been major window modifications and metal awnings have also been added. – D. Diana Johnson
This house was built in 1905 for William H. Dickson. Dickson was born in 1847 in King County, New Brunswick, Canada. He married Annie L. Earle in 1875 and shortly there after moved to Virginia City, Nevada. He had studied and practiced law in Canada and in 1882 began to practice in Salt Lake City. In 1884 he was appointed U.S. District Attorney for the Territory of Utah. He practiced law in several firms and at his deat was described as “one of the most prominent attorneys in the West” and “the greatest mining attorney in
the world.” He was a member of the Alto Club, the Chamber of Commerce, and the Masons. Following the death of his wife in 1917 he deeded the property to his daughter, Irene Earle Dickson Schulder and moved to Los Angeles where he died in 1924.
She sold the house to James P. Gardner, president of Gardner and Adams, clothiers, and vice-president of National City Bank.
In 1924 Gardner sold the house to James H. Wolfe, later a chief justice of the Utah Supreme Court and a member of the State’s judiciary for almost 25 years. Wolfe was a Democrat, social reformer, Unitarian, regent of the University of Utah, active in welfare organizations, and a war-time administrator. The house was remodeled into apartments about 1924 and remained in the Wolfe family through 1940.
Located at 273 East Capitol in the Capitol Hill Historic District in Salt Lake City, Utah
Pingback: Capitol Hill Historic District | JacobBarlow.com