A one-story home with a full basement exhibiting a multi-hipped roof and irregular rectangular plan. Windows have decorative segmental insets. The hipped roof side porch has Eastlake decorative elements. – Diana Johnson
This small Victorian cottage is typical of the single-family dwellings being erected in the Capitol Hill Historic District during the late nineteenth century. Several cottage patterns recur in the area, the long, flat-roofed, almost “Italianate” design being particularly popular. The Newson house is an excellent and well maintained (restored 1980) example of this type.
This house was built in 1890 for Robert C. Newson. Newson was born July 1, 1845 in Ipswich, Suffolk, England. He married Mary Ann Bradlough in England and emigrated in 1873 to Utah. Here he married Augusta Frederickson. A member of the LDS Church, he was employed as a packer by ZCMI for nearly thirty years. Newson made a brick addition to the house in 1910, where he lived until his death in 1912. After his death the house passed to George Robert Newson. In 1931 Edna Newson Gillett sold the house to R.D. Demarest, who held it through 1940.