This house was built about 1892-93 for Charles Lewis Berry. Berry was born. March 29, 1867 in Bristol, England. He was brought to Utah in 1869 by his mother Lydia Allen Berry. He married Rachel L., by whom he had three children. He entered the employ of Auerbach’s, eventually becoming manager of the dry goods department. He later operated a “mercantile establishment” at Idaho Falls. He was an active musician, played in Helds’ band, and was a charter member of the American Federation of Musicians
and an officer.
This 2 1/2 story Victorian home has a hipped roof. A front, projecting bay has gabled roof and canted corners. The gable exhibits a moulded cornice with triangular returns containing a flower motif. The gable wall is shingled. At the second story of the bay is a round arched window. Other window treatment includes segmental arches and archivolts. Victorian Eclectic ornament marks the front porch area. Some brick corbelling is located at cornice areas.
Located at 129 West 400 North in the Capitol Hill Historic District in Salt Lake City, Utah.