Evidence of title and directories suggests this “tenement” was built about 1885 by James J. Wyatt. Wyatt, listed in directories as a plasterer, lived at 102 Pear and by the late 1880’s has disappeared from the directories. This building originally contained six very small apartments and was later expanded and remodeled into the present four units. A number of members of Bishop Alonzo P. Raleigh’s several families lived in here in the 1890’s and early 1900’s.
- 1885 Wyatt to Alonzo P. Raleigh
- 1902 Estate of A.P. Raleigh to Emily P. Raleigh
- 1903 Raleigh to Alice E. Browning
- 1907 Browning to Martin S. Lindsay
- 1918 Lindsay to Elsie E. Flynn
- 1920 Flynn to Anton Christensen
- 1925 Christensen to Christina Christensen
- 1930 Estate of Christensen to Anton Christensen
- 1937 Anton Christensen to Carl Peterson
- 1938 Peterson to Mathilda Waterstrom
- 1938 Waterstrom to Elizabeth Peterson
This number designation comprises four one-story brick units arranged in “row” fashion, I.E., the individual units share external walls. The “row” rises from west to east up a slope on goon and this change in elevation is witnessed in the row have two levels of gabled roof. Lean-to shed extensions occur to rear of each unit. The individual units in the row appear to be transformations of the basic “rectangular cabin” vernacular building type and the units are pierced, from west to east, in a “door-window-window” , “window-door-window”, “door-window-window”, “window-door-window-window” pattern.
The “row” of houses follows a pattern which seems to have been quite popular in early Salt Lake City. Sanborn-perris insurance maps from 1884-1898 reveal numerous “row” houses in both adobe and brick. This example remains one of the last vernacular “rows” extant in the city.
One other interesting feature of the house is the east side wall. The house
borders Wall St. On the east and at this particular intersection, Wall and 600 N do not come together at right angle. Wall St. cuts back to west at about a 60° angle. This house has a east wall which also cuts back to the northwest at 60 angle.
Located at 136-146 West 600 North in the Capitol Hill Historic District in Salt Lake City, Utah.