The Garside-McMullin House in South Jordan, Utah, is historically important both because of its architectural style and its association with two locally prominent families, the Garsides and the McMullins, both successful in agriculture. At the time of its construction in 1898, the house’s size and distinctive Queen Anne stylistic features dominated the landscape of South Jordan, a fanning area just south of Salt Lake City, and served it as a focal point for community attention and pride. The house represents onef of three, residences currently documented as significant in this south end of the valley others are: the George Henry Dansie Farmstead, Draper (National
Register), and the Lauritz Smith House, Draper (nominated to the National
Register). Aaron Garside, a farmer who proved successful in both mining and livestock ventures, built the house as the architectural showpiece of the
south Salt Lake Valley and older residents today recall the impressive
elegance of the turreted dwelling and well kept gardens. In the 1870s and 80s Garside supplemented his farm income by hauling ore at the nearby Bingham Copper Mine and eventually accumulated the capital needed to move into the rapidly expanding sheep industry. The Garside operation in South Jordan had grown to 640 acres in the 1890s and it was at this time that the large frame mansion was completed. Garside 1 s ambitions extended beyond the borders of South Jordan and in the early 20th century he purchased a profitable gravel business in Salt Lake City. In 1907 the Garsides moved to Salt Lake City, selling the house to Albert Orlando McMullin. McMullin was a farmer from near Price, in Carbon County, who had recently taken advantage of soaring land values in the booming coal mining area and sold his property to move to the Salt Lake Valley. The McMullins established themselves on the Garside holdings and quickly assumed a leading role in the affairs of the South Jordan community. Following Albert’s death in 1935, the home was sold to one of his sons, Urban Bryner McMullin. Urban McMullin carried on with the family
farming business and became well known in the valley for his fine horses.
McMullin horse teams were highly valued and used by many industries in the area. Urban McMullin was active in local government and served as Bishop of the South Jordan Branch of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In later years (1960-66) the home was used as the South Jordan city offices and in 1977 the home was willed to Urban’s son, Dix Holt McMullin.
The Jordan River area of the south Salt Lake Valley was settled by members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the fall of 1848. The land that is now South Jordan was originally included in the West Jordan
ecclesiastical ward of the LDS church. In 1863, the members in the south
section of the ward were organized into the separate South Jordan Branch. The area was primarily agricultural, though copper mining activity could be found at nearby Bingham Canyon.
Aaron Garside was born in 1853 in Tintwistle, County Cheshire, England. He
was an early convert to the Mormon church and married Mary Blake in 1875. In 1876-77 the Garsides emigrated to America, and settled in South Jordan in 1878. Aaron started farming and built a one room adobe house for his family. In the late 1870s and early 80s, Garside supplemented his farm income by hauling ore at the Bingham Copper Mine and by 1886, he had accumulated the capital required to make a move into sheep ranching. It was at this time that he also acquired the property where the large frame house now stands, and built a larger log house for his wife and growing family (which eventually numbered 10 children). Circumstances during the 1880s were favorable for the rapid expansion of the intermountain livestock industry3 and Aaron Garside prospered in this new ranching business. As the Garside’s financial situation improved, the need for a suitably prestigious dwelling also increased. By 1898 the new house was completed. Architecturally the house closely followed the principles of late-nineteenth century eclectic design, and while the most prominent elements of the house, i.e., the projecting bays, turret, and porch, suggest the Queen Anne style, the house displays the visual restraint and classical decorative details which characterize much of Utah’s housing of the period. It appears that size, coupled with a concern for a Victorian asymmetry, were the primary themes addressed by the design. In 1907, Garside’s ambitions took him and his family to Salt Lake City where he purchased and operated a gravel business north of the State Capitol Building. In that year, the house was sold to Albert Orlando McMullin.
Albert 0. McMullin was born in 1871 at Kanosh, Mi Hard County, the son of
Albert Eals and Nancy Jane McMullin. By 1884 the family had moved to Provo where his father engaged in the freighting business. Albert soon began to accompany his father on hauling trips, working mostly out of Price in Carbon County to various points in the Uinta Basin. In 1893, Albert married Barbara Ann Bryner at Price. The family freighting business flourished during the 1890s, and it was during this period that Albert was called on a two year proselyting mission for the LDS church. Upon returning, Albert moved his family to Sunnyside where he worked in the coal mine. He went back to freighting for several years but found that the railroads had now captured most of the business. In 1904, the McMullins bought a farm near Green River, Utah, and stayed until the fall of 1906, when they accepted a good price for their farm and moved to South Jordan. Here Albert purchased the Garside property and achieved more than a moderate degree of success as a farmer. Following Albert’s death in 1935, the home was sold to one of his sons, Urban Bryner McMullin. Urban McMullin carried on with the family farming business and became well known in the valley for his fine horses. McMullin horse teams were highly valued and used by many industries in the area. Urban McMullin was active in local government and served as Bishop of the South Jordan Branch of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In later years (1960-66) the home was used as the South Jordan city offices and in 1977 the home was
willed to Urban’s son, Dix Holt McMullin.