In this vicinity at early Holladays western reaches (south to Big Cottonwood Creek, west a quarter mile, and northward) dozens of pioneers settled in spring 1849. Some of Holladay’s first-year settlers left the original village center after evaluating conditions, likely wanting land more fertile, irrigable, and suitable for expansion. While some relocated south of Big Cottonwood Creek, others resettled along its northern high-ground areas as well as west and north of here. With almost no money and few commodities in the valley for purchase, early pioneers maintained homes that were primarily self-sustaining industrial centers, much of the work done by women. Yeast for bread was made from the foam of salt, potash, and flour mixture or from berries; soap made from animal fat and ashes of trees or corncobs; candles from animal fat. Dirt floors were covered with homemade rag carpets. Starch for ironing clothes was made from potatoes. Women spun wool to make shirts, dresses, and suits. Dyes for coloring fabrics came from plants – green from sagebrush, reds and purples from berries and roots, light brown from boiled onion skins, and yellow from boiled rabbitbrush.
This plaque is #13 of the Historical Walking Tour of Holladay on this page. It is located at 1810 East Murray-Holladay Road in Holladay, Utah.