Tags

This is #24 in the Ely Murals Series.

Cherry Creek Hot Springs Mural

Cherry Creek became a thriving mining town with the rich veins at the Tea Cup and Exchequer mines in the late 1800’s. Named for the prolific chokecherry bushes surrounding the town, it became home to two Northern Europeans, Adolph and Elizabeth Sundberg. It was their early beginnings in Sweden and Denmark that led them to develop the natural geothermal springs with a swimming pool size hot tub and run Cherry Creek’s first and only health spa in the early 1900’s. Bachelor miners could visit and soak their aching muscles and socialize while Elizabeth did their laundry and prepare their meals.

A 20-stamp, 100 ton amalgamation mill moved into Cherry Creek from Hamilton in 1881. The transient population in Cherry Creek peaked at 6000 in 1882. The area included 28 saloons, a racetrack with a grandstand, stables and a miles long track. The town experienced several revivals and the Northern Nevada Railroad established a station three miles east of town.

In 1910, the latest revival of Cherry Creek faded and was not regained.

Related:

  • Cherry Creek, Nevada

696 East Aultman Street in Ely, Nevada.

“This massive mural tells the story of the Cherry Creek mining town and hot springs 50 miles north of Ely. Established in 1872 with silver and gold mining claims, Cherry Creek reached its peak ten years later boasting 6,000 people, 28 saloons, a racetrack and stables. Artist Wei Luan depicts the Italian miners enjoying their baths while their clothes are being cleaned after a long day at the mine. Northern European immigrants, Adolph and Elizabeth Sundberg, depicted on the far right side of the wall moved to Cherry Creek in 1900 and made their living by working in the mine, running a saloon, cooking meals for miners, taking in laundry and running the Cherry Creek hot springs resort.”