The Lincoln Highway Association was organized in 1913 to promote a toll-free highway from coast to coast. This road, America’s first transcontinental highway, brought the world to Ibapah’s front door.
The 1916 Official Road Guide to the Lincoln Highway featured an ad from the Sheridan Hotel of Ibapah, Utah, calling it a “Desert Resort of Merit. Good Beds and Home Cooking. Reasonable Rates, Gasoline, Oils, Supplies. Latch string out Day and Night. Owen Sheridan, Proprietor.”
As late as 1926, limo-sized Pierce Arrow buses made scheduled stops at Chastain’s store where sandwiches and coffee were available for travel-weary passengers. Gas and dry goods could be purchased as well.
By 1925, the Lincoln Highway began to lose its identity as a federal system of numbered highways was implemented. The Wendover cutoff bypassed Deep Creek in 1925. For the first time in many years, Ibapah was no longer a major stopping point for California-bound travelers, becoming the small isolated ranching community it is today.
This historic marker is located in Ibapah, Utah