Spring Canyon Coal Company
The town of Spring Canyon, or Storrs as it was originally called, was the site of the first coal mine in Spring Canyon. A small mine was worked in Sowbelly Gulch by Teancum Pratt beginning in about 1895, then in 1912 “Uncle” Jesse Knight purchased the mine and hired George Storrs to develop the operation. By 1913 a railroad was completed from Helper, 60 stone houses, a store, hotel and hospital had been built for the miners and the mine was extracting coal. By 1914 the mine was producing about 1,000 tons per day. In 1924 the town was renamed Spring Canyon and sported a modern water and sewer system, heated swimming pool and tennis courts. By 1940 the Spring Canyon Mine was ranked as the fourth largest coal producer in the state. In 1947 the town reached its height when a population of over 1,000. In early 1970 the mine was completely closed, the last 37 miners were unemployed and the town was abandoned.