Heiner was located on the mountain at the mouth of Panther Canyon and on the main line of the D & RG Western Railroad, approximately halfway between Helper and Castle Gate at an elevation of 6,023 feet.
In 1911, Frank Cameron, a prominent coal mine operator in Utah, was prospecting for coal in the area. He was successful and by May of 1912 he was working a twelve-man crew in Panther Canyon on property leased from United States Fuel Co., producing four cars of coal per week.
The town which grew up around the mine was originally called Panther because of it’s location in Panther Canyon. It was later known as Carbon and finally named Heiner in honor of Moroni Heiner, vice president of Unites States Fuel Company. Cameron’s lease expired on April 1st, 1918 and operation reverted to United States Fuel Co.
Panther was originally a tent city, but by 1914 the town boasted a one room school, company store and a post office. In 1923, a 4-room brick building was erected for the school. The mine wa sproducing about 100 tons of coal per day in 1914. By 1918 production was up to 500 tons per day and by 1923 it had reached 700 tons per day.
The mine shut down in 1937 and like many other boom and bust coal mining towns Heiner ceased to exist. Approximately 125 houses, the company store, the post office, school and all other buildings were demolished, and the land was reclaimed.*