Our First Church
Paris, Idaho was settled in the fall of 1863. Two years later a building used for church, school and recreation was erected by James Nye and others, of logs hauled from George Sirrine’s sawmill It was 20′ X 60′ with two large rooms and a stage at one end. Later an annex, balcony and belfry were added. In 1870 the first ward of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was organized, Henry D. Horne, Bishop. Thomas Sleight and Louis Ricks taught school. This bell rang for assembly until 1942.
The text above is from the Daughters of Utah Pioneers historic marker #289, erected in 1963 and located at 109 South Main Street in Paris, Idaho.
These photos were summited by Marshall Hurst: