
Corona Apartments / Briar Arms Apartments
Constructed in 1925, the Corona Apartments is one of over 180 “urban apartments” built in Salt Lake City during the first three decades of the twentieth century, a period of unprecedented expansion and urbanization. Over 60 percent of those buildings are either listed or eligible for listing in the National Register. Urban apartments are significant under Criterion C as a distinct and important type of residential building in the city. Apartments are remarkably consistent with one another in terms of building plan, height, roof type, materials, and stylistic features. These and other characteristics mark them as a new and distinct type of early twentieth century residential building. Under Criterion A, urban apartments are significant for their association with the rapid urbanization of Salt Lake City during the 1890s~1930 period. The growth that took place during those decades spurred the construction of two opposing types of housing in the city: urban apartments and suburban homes. Suburban homes represent a rejection of urban conditions. Apartments, on the other hand, document the accommodation of builders and residents to the realities of crowded living conditions and high land values. They were a significant new housing option that emerged in response to the growth that transformed Salt Lake City into an urban center during the early twentieth century.
Located at 335 South 200 East in Salt Lake City, Utah and added to the National Register of Historic Places (#89001742)
he building permit for the Corona Apartments was issued on May 15, 1925, to Bowers Building Company, one of the most active developers of apartments in Salt Lake City during the 1920s and early 1930s. The estimated cost of the 19-unit building was $40,000. Bowers Building and Investment Company, headed by George C. Bowers, constructed at least sixteen urban apartments in the city, including three others, besides the Corona, in 1925. All were located in east-central neighborhoods.
he building remained with Bowers only until 1926, when it was purchased by S.J. Quinney and D.R. Brimhall. Other owners include J.B. Arnovitz and James L. White (1928-1934), Alma and Myrtle Jennings (1934) and Ralph D. and Gertrude R. Gillmor and children (1934-at least 1947). The building was renamed the Briar Arms Apartments, its current name, soon after the Gillmors bought it.
Constructed in 1925, the Corona Apartments is a three-story brick building with a parapet roof, concrete foundation and modest Prairie School stylistic features. No significant alterations have been made to the building. A garage formerly located at the rear of the property has been demolished (date unknown).
The Corona is a rectangular building with its narrow end facing the street. The symmetrical facade has a central doorway and is divided by four brick piers that extend the full the height of the building. The piers are of a darker brick than the rest of the facade. That same dark brick is used to frame the window openings and the recessed brick panels above the second story windows. The brick on the side and rear walls is a lighter color than that on the facade. The windows on the facade consist of groups of four casement windows with divided lights. Windows on the side and rear elevations are double hung. There is a flat canopy over the entrance suspended by large chains attached to the building. Though the facade of the building exhibits modest Prairie style characteristics in the vertical piers and the horizontal bands of casement windows, the overall design is non-descript.
The interior of the building is laid out in the typical double-loaded corridor plan, which has a central hallway with apartments on either side and stairways at the front and rear. There are 19 apartments in the building.