Oakley’s original name was “Oak Creek”, derived from the name of a creek that ran just east of the present town site and that was thickly overgrown with oak trees. The town changed its name to “Oakley” in late 1886 or early 1887; the new name was chosen from many names submitted by the settlers in a contest.
Oakley was first explored as a location for a new settlement in about 1850. The City was incorporated in 1933 and Robert V. Frazier was elected the first Mayor. We are located about 45 miles East of Salt Lake City in Eastern Summit County. We enjoy many benefits of being in a high mountain valley at 6500 feet in elevation with the beautiful Weber River flowing through our City.