2017-10-07 14.10.56

Provo’s North Park Was Once an Adobe Yard for Its Early Settlers.

After Provo’s original colonists moved from Fort Utah near Utah Lake to Fort Provo at what is today’s North Park at 500 North and 500 West, they seen began moving from the Fort to individual city lots.  By 1852, most had moved out of Fort Provo and had begun to build their own homes.

They faced the problem of what material to use in the construction of their permanent houses.  Logs and rock were available in the Wasatch Mountains, but it was a long, laborious ordeal to gather these materials and transport them to the valley.

Most settlers made their houses from adobe, which cost half as much as a log cabin the same size.

Clay for making good adobe bricks was available where Fort Provo had stood, so surveyors laid out an adobe yard of 44 original lots, and later extended it as demand grew.  George Washington Bean acted ass its superintendent.  Water was diverted from the Provo River so that it could be mixed with the dry clay.   The “mud” was then put into wooden molds and dried into building bricks.

The site was later made into a community park by moving dirt from the nearby areas to fill in the excavation left by the removal of clay.  Today, the area is the “gathering place” of Provo – North Park, Pioneer Village, Daughters of Utah Pioneers Museum, Veterans Memorial Pool, and the Provo Recreation Center.

This is plaque #2 in the Series of Events from Provo’s History and is located in Rotary Park in Provo.

2017-10-07 14.11.05

ingress_20130802_204336_2