Camp W.G. Williams Hostess House / Officers Club
Constructed 1935-38, the Camp W.G. Williams Hostess House / Officers Club, originally the Hostess House, is significant for its association with the public works programs of the New Deal era. The building was constructed as a joint Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) and Works Progress Administration (WPA) project at a cost of $32,735. Federal relief programs were extensive in Utah because of the impact the Great Depression had on the state. During the period 1932-1940, Utah had a very high unemployment rate, among the highest in the nation, and was one of the highest recipients of federal finds for construction. Building projects such as the Officers Club were important during the era since virtually every public building constructed in Utah was completed under federal programs by one of several agencies. In its original function as a hostess house, the Officers Club was intended as a place where wives and families of officers and men at Camp Williams could socialize and also hold camp functions. Designed in the English Tudor style by the local architect Edward O. Anderson, the building features decorative split-stone rubble, facing both the interior and exterior; decorative false half-timbering in the gables; and a large split-stone fireplace with opposite halves of stone placed symmetrically at the centerline. All stone, sand, and gravel used in the construction was quarried from the Camp Williams Military Reservation. The English Tudor style was popular in Utah in the 1920s and 1930s in both residential and public architecture. This is one of the larger buildings in the state to feature the style.