Salt Lake City’s first “Skyscraper”
The Templeton, a six-story brick and stone building constructed in 1889-1890, was designed by Joseph D. C. Young, a son of Brigham Young and a graduate of Rensselear Polytechnic Institute. The impressive structure was erected by Zion’s Saving Bank and Trust Company and helped establish Salt Lake City as an important regional banking center. The bank occupied the the main floor while the upper part was occupied by the Hotel Templeton.
This luxury hotel, with a dining room overlooking the city from the top floor, did not survive the financial panic of 1893 and the building was retrofitted for office use. until its demise in 1959 the building housed offices of lawyers, dentists, music teachers, architects, and other businesses. It was replaced by the 18-story Kennecott Building – reclad in 2007 and now known as the Zions Bank Building.
Pingback: Main Street Salt Lake City | JacobBarlow.com