Parley P. Pratt and Orson Pratt Houses
Residential block in pioneer times.
The brothers Parley P. Pratt and Orson Pratt, two of Mormonism’s early apostles and leading scholars, received adjacent lots on this corner in 1847 where they built houses for their families. Their homes, with their accompanying gardens and orchards, were among the many that originally surrounded Temple Square. In fact, nearly all of this block was primarily residential during the early years of settlement, but soon gave way to the development of a business district.
Parley’s house was demolished for a commercial building about 1890, while Orson’s house was converted into a store and was the last surviving residence on the block until removed for the Temple Square Hotel in 1929. The 2008-2011 construction of Promontory on South Temple brings this corner full circle to its original residential use.