William S. Robinson Park in American Fork, Utah
This entire park property was owned by Edward Robinson (1807-1896). In England, Edward had been the first conductor of the famous steam locomotive known as the “Rocket”.
Edward and his family came to Lake City (American Fork) as converts to the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. At the request of Church leaders in 1853 Lake City residents began to move their homes and build a fort. Edward is depicted in this statue as a memorial to all those settlers who built their portian of the fort wall behind their homes in 1858, the fort was not needed and they relocated their homes around the community.
Edward built his home, farm buildings and raised a large family and garden on this land. Edward build a six room adobe home near the corner of Main and 100 East. He planted lilacs, trees, flowers and especially roses. It was known as “Robinson’s Rose Corner”.
In Edward’s older years, a grandson, William Edward (Will) Robinson (1866-1919) and his wife lived with him. In 1896 Edward died and Will became the owner of the adobe home and the East half of the property. Will died in 1919 and his wife sold their property to American Fork City in 1920 to be used as a park.
The West half of the property was owned by William Smith Robinson (1840-1936), a son of Wdward and Father of Will. Willian S. was born in England and as a child was very ill. Brigham Young, as an L.D.S. Missionary in England, blessed William S. to be well and to live to a “ripe old age”. William S. also known as “Curly Bill”, built a red brick home facing Main Street, next to his father’s home. Curly Bill, in his later years, gave permission for American Fork City to purchase his home and property upon his death which occurred in 1936. He had lived to be 95 years of age.
American Fork City developed the property by demolishing the two homes, planting lawns and trees, building a band stand, tennis courts and horseshoe pits. On May 26, 1947 the park was dedicated as the “William S. Robinson Park” as part of American Fork City’s State Centennial Celebration.
A fourth generation of Robinsons, Myrtle R. Seastrand (1891-1973), daughter of William Roninson, was the catalyst for building this Daughters of Utah Pioneers (DUP) Monument in 1959. The monument marked the original South Wall of the fort and was a platform for the old City Hall Bell. Where it the bell today? In 2006 the City Bell was relocated by the City and DUP to the restored City Hall Bell Tower.