West Bountiful Heritage Marker
Upon his arrival in the Salt Lake Valley, James Fackrell Sr., asked local Indians where he could find good land. They told him of a land where many fresh springs and clear creeks could irrigate the soil. Fackrell found the place and began to farm what is now known as West Bountiful.
Other settlers also discovered that the rich West Bountiful soil was ideal and began to build permanent homes in the area. By the 1900s the reputation of West Bountiful had enticed several wealthier pioneers to build elegant homes in the area.
In the 1920s George Mann returned home from a LDS mission to Spain with one point of yellow sweet Spanish onion seed. The seed was planted in West Bountiful by local farmers and before long yellow sweet Spanish had become the most popular onion in the United States. Between 1928 and 1938 200 to 300 train car loads of onions were shipped from West Bountiful every year.
On January 28, 1948, West Bountiful was incorporated as a town, and on November 12, 1962 to became a city. The onion farms are gone but in West Bountiful fresh water springs still flow and people are still raising fine families.