Located at 777 S 1300 E in Salt Lake City, Utah the First Baptist Church is a gorgeous place that really stands out from its surroundings.
In September, 1949, pledges were taken to build a new building. Many members mortgaged their homes, provided “sweat equity,” or both to help build the new facility. In January, 1950, L. S. Skaggs, a prominent local businessman, donated $20,000 for the purchase of land on the corner of 1300 East and 800 South Streets. Work on the site began in fall, 1950; the cornerstone was laid on Thanksgiving Day, 1951. On January 4, 1953, over 1,000 people worshiped in the sanctuary for the first time, even though the stained glass windows had not yet been installed and their openings were temporarily covered. The congregation dedicated the Skaggs Memorial Chapel, named in honor of L. S. Skaggs and his wife, on February 24, 1954. Finally completed, the new First Baptist Church building was dedicated on April 25, 1954. Since its beginning, First Baptist Church has been an important part of the community in Salt Lake City. We have seeded several “mission churches” in the valley, opened a Child Care Center, started a Credit Union, been home to many music and community groups and have been a church home for thousands over the years.(*)
See other churches in Salt Lake City here.