The McCune Mansion is one of the impressive homes on Capitol Hill in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Built in 1900, Elizabeth and Alfred McCune had it built as a replica of a home they saw in New York City.
The 21 room mansion overlooks Temple Square and downtown Salt Lake majestically from a small hill and has materials from many parts of the world.
The McCune Mansion was designed by architect S.C. Dallas for Alfred W. McCune and wife Elizabeth. The McCunes financed a two year tour of the United States and Europe for the architect to study architectural styles and techniques before plans were drawn for the home. Working closely with Mrs. McCune, the home was designed by S.C. Dallas and the construction completed in 1901.
Alfred W. McCune was born July 11, 1949 at Fort William, Dum Dum, Calcutta, India. His father, Major Mathew McCune was an officer in the British Army Division Survey in East London. The McCune family was converted to the Mormon faith in 1851 and in November of 1856 they left India for Utah and arrived in Salt Lake City, September 21, 1857.
Choosing the railroad for business rather than farming, Alfred began taking contracts to build portions of the Utah Southern Railroad in 1870. During the next decade he became one of the largest railroad contractors in the Rocky Mountain area.
In 1880, McCune left railroad building and entered the timber and mining business in Montana. Again he was unusually successful, and after eight years in Montana the McCunes moved to Salt Lake City in 1888. Mr. McCune entered into numerous mining ventures in the United States, Canada, and South America. Locally he purchased the Salt Lake City Streetcar system.
In 1920 they moved to Los Angeles and the home was given to the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It housed the McCune School of Art and Music until 1958 when the Brigham Young University SLC Center moved into the building. The mansion has recently been vacated and a private individual has purchased the former school for use as architectural offices and a showroom for handmade furniture.