Primary Children’s Hospital
One hundred yards west of this plaque was once the home of Primary Children’s Hospital and served as a refuge for ill and injured children. Erected in 1952, the red brick hospital was literally build with love. Each of the 120,158 bricks were purchased by youngsters for ten and twenty cents. Over its forty year history, thousands of children from around the world were helped at the hospital.
The Penny Parade, conducted by the Primary organization of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, collected funds (a penny for every years of age) to provide medical care for children who could not pay. For many, the hospital became a home away from home. Windows and balconies overlooking the Valley, gave a view of the outside world and hope for a brighter future.
The cornerstone of the Medical Center was preserved and is located in the park just west of the plaque.
1909-1910, Richard K.A. Kletting
Utah businessmen Orange J. Salisbury shared Samuel Newhouse’s goal of shifting the center of Salt Lake City’s business district to the south. He financed the construction of several commercial buildings in Salt Lake City, including the Felt Building. Designed by Richard Kletting, the Felt Building is an early example of Sullivanesque architecture in Utah. It also features the first terra-cotta facade in the state. What the Felt Building lacks in color, it makes up for in exuberant detail. Note the relief portraits of classical Greek figures in the round arches, dentilled cornice, foliated frieze, and decorative capitals atop the pilasters between the bays.
78 N Street
This home and the one next door at 74 N were built c.1909 for investment purposes by Agatha P. Schettleron. She sold this house to Grace C. Stratton, an osteopath who was active in local politics, Stratton was elected to the Utah Legislature in 1916 and 1918, and she held a prominent social position within the Salt Lake community.
This one-and-one-half-story bungalow is distinguished by the centrally placed front dormer and the shallow ornamental gable marking the main entrance.
Frank E. Moss Federal Courthouse
Salt Lake City Federal Building and Post Office
1902-1905, James Knox Taylor, Supervising Architect of the Treasury
After Utah became a state in 1896, the Federal Government began planning a building to house federal offices in Salt Lake City. The Treasury Department considered two sites for the building. After vocal opposition from many of Salt Lake City’s leading non-Mormon businessmen to a site offered by the LDS Church near Temple Square, the federal government purchased this site. Completed in 1905, this building was one of the earliest examples of Neoclassical style architecture in Utah. Originally serving as a combination post office, courthouse, and federal building, it became the anchor of the non-Mormon south downtown business district.
Davis Park in Salt Lake City.
This park is dedicated to the memory of Ione McKean Davis, a lifelong resident of Salt Lake City, who devoted herself to the interests of the community. She served in many areas, including the public schools, neighborhood associations, and tennis programs. Mrs. Davis was known as the “watchdog” for the city’s foothills, stressing preservation and controlled development. She was a lifelong political activist and served on many civic boards and communities.
As a member of the Salt Lake City Council representing District 6, Mrs. Davis conscientiously studied the issues and fought tirelessly for effective government, quality services, and careful use of fiscal resources. Her expertise was instrumental in changing this location a gravel-strewn intersection to a safe and peaceful retreat for children and adults.
While serving as the vice-chairwoman of the City Council in 1985 during her second term, Mrs. Davis died of cancer. In memory of her civic service, the name of this park was changed from Foothill Park to Davis Park. Mrs. Davis embodied the best of American citizenship and local leadership. She is remembered by those who associated with her as being insightful, spirited, hard working, compassionate and honest. Her family and community contributions constitute her legacy.
There are sculptures of quail on roller-skates around the park.
GAMBEL’S QUAIL, 2009
CAST BRONZE QUAIL
The sculptural subject of Gambel’s quail reflects the commitment of Ione McKean Davis to the preservation of open space in the urban environment. Coveys of wild Gambel’s quail can be seen throughout the neighborhoods of Salt Lake City. Recognizing the wild presence of quail in the urban landscape affirms an appreciation for our fragile local ecosystem and the importance of urban open space.
Gambel’s quail are identified by their tear-drop shaped topknot, the distinct black patch on the chest of the buck, and the scaly plumage on their undersides. As ground birds in an urban environment, Gambel’s quail primarily move about by walking and can move surprisingly fast through brush and undergrowth.
Central Overland Trail – Washington Square
[previously Emigrant Square)
“The city presents a handsome appearance. About 3 o’clock the whole train arrived and is camped in Emigration Square in a dusty place, full of horses and wagons from the states. A large number of old acquaintances came into our camp to congratulate us on our safe arrival.”
This city block is now known as Washington Square, but during the 1850s and 60s it was known as Emigrant Square. All covered-wagon emigrants who planned to spend any time in Salt Lake City were required to set up camp within this block. While camping here they were able to rest their livestock and replenish their supplies.
In 1859 Captain James H. Simpson led an expedition that opened a new route between Salt Lake City and California which became known as the Central Overland Trail. Emigrant Square was the beginning point of that route. During its short history this route was used by the Pony Express, the Overland Stage, and significant numbers if California-bound emigrants.
Boston and Newhouse Buildings
These twin buildings in downtown Salt Lake City really stand out to me. They were Utah’s first skyscrapers and were built by one of the state’s wealthiest mining magnates, Samuel Newhouse.
They were part of the attempt to have a “Wall Street” in the western states with other buildings like the Newhouse Realty Building, the Commercial Club Building, the Salt Lake Stock & Mining Exchange and Hotel Plandome.
Immanuel Baptist Church
Immanuel Baptist Church is a historic church at 401 E. 200 South in Salt Lake City, Utah. it is now Anthony’s Fine Art, an Art and Antique store.
The Classical Revival church was built in 1910–1911, but not dedicated until 1915. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.