Veterans Park Layton Utah
Veterans Park is located between 155 West and 175 West Gentile Street on the east side of the Union Pacific Railroad tracks. The park is an irregular shaped plot, planted with grass and trees. The park is maintained by the Layton City Parks Department, but the area is owned by the Oregon Short Line/Union Pacific Corporation.
The Oregon Short Line/Union Pacific railroad ran along Main Street in Layton. The Layton depot and railroad tracks were moved from downtown to a new right of way west of Main Street in 1911-1912. A new, larger freight and passenger depot was built on the east side of the tracks about 350 feet south of Gentile Street. The railroad property also included the piece of property where the park is located.
From the time it was built until the mid-1940s the Layton depot was an important gathering place, particularly during World War I and throughout the 1920s. At that time freight and passenger trains made regular stops in Layton. Crowds would gather there to meet or bid farewell to passengers, pick up or receive freight, or visit the station just to see the trains pass by. In addition to the station there was an area planted in the grass and surrounded by a combination wire fence. The fence was necessary then because herds of cattle and sheep were frequently driven up and down Gentile Street. The fence also kept stray horses and cattle from grazing on the lawn. The stationmaster was probably responsible for the care of the fence and lawn. Since the railroad station was the focal point for the town, the grass areas next to Gentile Street was regarded as a public park. In 1921 four trees were planted in this park as a memorial to four young men from Layton who died during or very shortly after World War I.
Due to railway expansion in 2008 one of those memorial trees was removed and replaced with a new tree in this location.
P F C David Day
Serial No. 4269347
David Day, son of James W and Elizabeth Day, was born May 1, 1897, in Layton, Utah
He was inducted into service in Company M, 8th Infantry, under Captain Graves, August 9, 198. He trained for three months in Camp Fremont and the Camp Mills. While on his way to overseas assignment he was involved in a troop train accident in Geneva, Illinois. He was slightly injured and spent the night of the accident exposed to the rain. He was stricken with flu and died of pneumonia at Camp Mills, New York on November 3, 1918.
He was the first World War Hero to be buried in Davis County.
P F C Hubert Henry Layton
Serial No. 2780989
Hubert Henry Layton, son of Orson and Ruth E. Layton, was born March 22, 1891, in Layton Utah.
He was married to Dora Jane Dunyon and they had one daughter, Jane Ruth Layton.
Hubert Henry Layton was a graduate from University of Utah and practiced law as an attorney.
He was inducted into service in Battery B of the 348th Field Artillery, April 27, 1918. Three months were spent in training a Camp Lewis and he sailed overseas July 27, 1918.
He was stationed a Clearmont Ferand, France, where he died of typhoid fever, October 19, 1918. He was buried in the American cemetery but was later returned home for final burial in the Wasatch Lawn cemetery at Salt Lake City, Utah.
P F C David Lane Jones
Serial No. 5206305
David Lane Jones, son of Thomas R. and Carrie Mabel Jones, was born February 15, 1899, in Fairfield, Utah but he was raised in Layton, Utah.
He volunteered for service October 3, 1918. He was assigned to Company D. Student Army Training Camp, University of Utah for a few weeks. He was sent home on account of influenza epidemic but was recalled to Fort Douglas, November 18, 1918. He died at Fort Douglas, Utah of influenza, December 1, 1918.
P F C William Clyde Layton
Serial No. 2259409
William Clyde Layton, son of Charles A. and Victoria J Walker Layton, was born July 11, 1895, in Davis County, Utah.
He was inducted into service September 19, 1917 and was assigned to Machine Gun Company 362nd Infantry, 91st Division. He trained a Camp Lewis, Washington, and Camp Merrit, New Jersey.
In March, 1918 he was granted furlough. He came home and was married to Meldon Kirkham, who returned with him to Washington state. He sailed overseas July 5, 1918.
On the night of July 23rd near Bonnieres-sur-Seine, France a small village about forty miles north of Paris, a troop train on which his company was riding was struck by a heavy freight train. William C. Layton was among those who lost their lives in the wreck. He was killed instantly.
175 West Gentile Street in Layton, Utah
In Honor Of All Who Served
This site was once part of a railroad station where servicemen and servicewomen said “good-bye” to friends and families before departing to serve in the U. S. Armed Forces. This monument, designed by Layton High School student Jyana Messenger, was dedicated November 11, 2000, to honor those Layton citizens who have served their country in the U. S. Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines and Coast Guard and to keep alive their memory for future generations. The circle of connected hands represents the give service branches and the give armed conflicts of the 20th century. It symbolizes stability and strength between fellow servicemen and servicewomen and also serves as their link to future generations.
Four trees were planted in the park in 1921 in memory of four young men who died during World War I. The site was donated to Layton City by the Union Pacific Railroad and named “Veterans Park” on November 11, 1991.
The park has become a deeply meaningful memorial for the people of Layton, Utah.
Those Who Lost Their Lives
WORLD WAR I
- PFC David Day U. S. Army
- PFC David Lane Jones U. S. Army
- PFC Hubert Henry Layton U. S. Army
- PFC William Clyde Layton U. S. Army
WORLD WAR II
- PFC Joseph Allen U. S. Army
- CAPT Edward V. Baranski U. S. Army Air Force
- LT Lewis Barton U. S. Army Air Force
- PFC Howard D. Day U. S. Army
- SEAMAN 1ST CLASS Forrest M. Green U. S. Navy
- PFC Wendell B. Hodson U.S. Marine Corp
- PFC Lewis M. Nalder U. S. Marine Corp
- LT William E. Nalder U. S. Army Air Force
- PFC Donald H. Smith U. S. Army Air Force
- PFC Manual R. Rodarte U. S. Army
- LT Heber J. Whitesides U. S. Air Force
- CPL Kenneth W. Eckman U. S. Army
- CAPT John C. Ellison U. S. Navy
- PFC Allen B. Glines U. S. Army
- SP4 Ted Pierce U. S. Army
- PFC Thomas H. Schofield U. S. Army
- LT Jesse Brent Stevenson U. S. Army
- CAPT John Paul Wadsworth U. S. Air Force
- SSGT James W. Cawley U. S. Marine Corp
- SGT David J. Goldberg U. S. Army
Boulder Park is at 50 South 100 West in Helper, Utah
The Price River Parkway Gold Medal Mile goes through the park.
There is also a dedication to the John and Deborah Jones family and a memorial to Ron Cooper along with some historic markers:
- Coal City
- Spring Canyon Coal Company
- Sweets Coal Company
The Panguitch Quilt Walk History
In 1864 a group of hardy pioneers braved the mountain snows to save their families from starvation. This group of men encountered snows that were impassable. According to their faith they knelt on a quilt in a prayer circle.
The answer to their prayer was to walk on the quilts. Thus we honor seven men as the Panguitch Quilt Walkers. They are Jessie Louder, Alexander Matheson, William Talbot, Thomas Jefferson Adair, Thomas Morgan Richards, John Lowe Butler II, and John Paul Smith.
Located at 70 East Center Street in Panguitch, Utah
Thomas Jefferson Adair, Jr.
Thomas was born in Pickins, Alabama in 1814. After converting to the LDS faith, he and his wife Frances Rogers moved their young family to Nauvoo, Illinois. Following the mass expulsion from Illinois, Thomas and his family fled to Ohio where Frances and two of their four children died. Before coming to Utah, Thomas married Mary Vancil. They joined a group of settlers going to Panguitch in 1864. Thomas was one of the seven men who risked his life to save the settlement of Panguitch; he was age 50 at the time. He was also instrumental in settling the areas of Paria in southern Utah and Adairville and Showlow in Arizona.
John Lowe Butler, II
John was born in Nauvoo, Illinois and was only eight years old when he crossed the plains with his family. When his father died, John was left to help his widowed mother provide for his eleven brothers and sister. Although only twenty years of age, it was important to John to be part of the journey to Parowan – his family needed food to survive the rest of the winter. In later years, John took part in the Black Hawk Indian War; he also led the San Juan Expedition of the Colorado River.
Thomas Morgan Richards
John Paul Smith
William was born in Hampshire, England. As a young man he became a carter, one who contracts to haul goods in a wagon. He joined the LDS Church in 1850, and married Charlotte Newman the next year. They set sail for America with their two small boys but their youngest son died soon after they arrived. William answered the call to settle Parowan, and later to settle Panguitch. Besides working his farm William was also a wagon maker. He, along with six other men, showed courage and faith as they went to Parowan in the winter snow for food. Eventually they abandoned the oxen pulled wagon and struggled with every footstep until they were inspired to walk on quilts. He was 39 years old when he made the trek to Parowan, he and his descendants returned to Panguitch after the second settlement.
Gas Works Park
Gas Works Park in Seattle, Washington.
Gas Works Park is a ca. 20-acre public park located on the north shore of Lake Union at the south end of the Wallingford neighborhood. It is recognized in the National Register of Historic Places. Aside from the machines and structures of the former gasification plant, the location offers a stunning panorama of the Seattle skyline. If you can, wait till the lights start coming on at dusk!
History and Transformation
In the early 20th century, Seattle Gas Light Company purchased the land. They built a gas manufacturing plant in what was then a highly industrial area. At the time, it was the largest private utility in Seattle.
The plant produced illuminating gas, so-called because it was used for lighting. Later, the gas was also used for cooking, refrigeration, and heating homes and water. Hence, the origin of the park’s name — Gas Works Park. The gas was originally generated from coal. Production later switched to oil gas generators.
Gas production operations ceased in 1956. In 1962, the City of Seattle began purchasing the area. The transfer was completed and the park opened to the public in 1975.
The Play Barn
The building known as the Play Barn dates to the original coal-gas facility and was constructed of wood. It features the former pump house, ca. 7,340 square feet and boiler house, ca. 5,720 square feet. Their wood frames remain intact and in place on concrete slab foundations.
The former boiler house was turned into a picnic shelter. The tubes of one former boiler remain in place at the eastern end of the building. They are an impressive display of technology from days-passed.
The former pump house showcases most of its machinery still in place. It features pumps, piping and also its old 3,000 hp compressor. An old smoke arrestor hood has been refurbished as a play structure for climbing.
Kite Hill offers stunning views and a fascinating history to its visitors. Thousands of cubic yards of rubble from old gas plant buildings were covered with fresh top soil, sewage sludge, and sawdust. What sounds gross at first was a successful early attempt of bioremediation. It is a natural way to decontaminate soil and groundwater. The area offered plenty of both from past days of gasification plant operation. Today, Gas Works Park is fully decontaminated and covered with lush green field grass.
Once visitors have reached the top of the hill, they are met by an unexpected artpiece — a sundial. It was created by two local artists, Chuck Greening and Kim Lazare. Their material of choice was concrete, which they delineated with rocks, shells, glass, bronze, and many other materials. The sundial tells time by using the body of the visitor as the gnomon. The viewer’s shadow tells the time of day and the season.