Constructed c. 1895, the William and Julia Lyman House is a type known as a central passage, where a central hallway divides the two equally sized main-floor rooms. The Lyman House is one of only a few of this type remaining in Parowan. The central passage plan is important because of its link to eighteenth-century American building traditions in the northeastern and Midwestern regions, as well as for its symbolism of individual prominence within this early Mormon community.
Both William and Julia played important roles in Parowan. William, a cattle rancher, served three terms as mayor of the city. He also served as the Iron County representative to the Utah State Legislature from 1925 to 1926. William sat on the board of directors for the Bank of Iron County, was a school trustee for three terms, and worked as a state land appraiser and state inspector of livestock. Julia, besides handling the domestic chores, served as Parowan Stake Relief Society President, one of the highest women’s callings in the Mormon church. She was also elected to the school board and actively rallied for woman suffrage and Utah statehood.
191 S. Main St., Parowan, Utah
- Parowan, Utah