This two-story brick structure was built as the City Hall in 1899. It may have been designed by Richard c. Watkins, the only architect in this county designing major public, educational and religious buildings at the time. Partaking in the Victorian Eclectic tradition, the hall has an elevated, arched entry vestibule and a tall sandstone foundation wall. The upper brick walls are also tall, giving the building a sense of dignity and stateliness. The multiple gables and varied window types give variety to the design. After 88 years, the City Hall remains in a good state of preservation.(*)
Historically, the hall’s main floor housed civic offices and meetings. The city jail was located in the basement. Gunnison’s first high school was held here on the second floor. A dance hall on the north side housed the home economics classes, gym and agriculture classes.
It was later an Antique and Craft store.
- Gunnison, Utah