Early Day Wood Beam Walking Hand Plow
This plow was donated to the museum by Mr. & Mrs. Leslie E. Nelson, of Hurricane, Utah.
History of the plow is from Mr. Nelson’s grandmother, Hulda Ellertson Kay, who was housekeeper for Apostle Hyde during the period of 1875.
The Nelson family owned the original Hyde home in Spring City, Utah. This home was built of the same stone as the Manti Temple and still stands today as strong as it was when built. It was listed on The Utah State Register of Historic Sites on May 5, 1971, as Orson Hyde Home. This was in recognition of its architectural and historic significance.
According to information given to Mr. Nelson by his grandmother, this plow was used by the Hyde family during this period. Other farm and garden items were also found at the home. The large garden hoe that is in the museum is one of those items. The Nelsons have part of the old pump that was also on the property which is now standing as a yard light at their home in Hurricane.