Located at 1116 East South Temple in Salt Lake City, Utah.
This home is significant for its architecture and as the home of early Utah immigrant Pedar Franklin. Mr. Franklin came to Utah from Norway in 1873. He worked in the mines in Little Cottonwood Canyon. By 1901 he had
accumulated enough capital to build this house. Mr. Franklin acquired his
original fortune by securing an option on the Magia Mine at Bingham, and
secured control of the Yankee Consolidated mine in the Tintic District. He
also promoted the mines in the copper belt between Milford and Frisco. He
built a lumber mill at Frisco. Pedar Franklin died in 1906 and his wife
Catherin W. Franklin lived in the house six more years. The house was then
purchased by Frederick Curtis Richmond, a man whose ancestors founded Taunton, Massachusetts, in 1632. Because of his lineage, Mr. Richmond was a member of the most exclusive genealogical societies in the Western hemisphere. Born in Massachusetts in 1862, he was the son of James Henry Crocker Richmond and Hannah Katherine Curtis Richmond. In 1897 he came to Salt Lake City and was a member of the board of governors of the Salt Lake Conmmercial Club. He was president of the F.C. Richmond Machinery Company, dealing in mining, milling and smelting machinery. He was married to Laura Trebore Osborn and the couple had two daughters. Mr. Richmond lived in this house until his death in November, 1940. In 1939 the house was purchased by Ernest D. Wright. In 1963 the ownership was transferred to the Wright-Dunn Corporation.
This imposing two-story Classical Revival home is dominated by a front
portico. The portico has six two-story doric columns supporting a small entablature topped by a masonry balustrade. From the main roof of the house project two gabled dormers with arched windows. The dormers have been connected to form a single awkward dormer, but were originally separate. The front door of the house has sidelights and a fanlight, with a second floor balcony above supported by brackets.